The other night we were out a bit later than usual walking Beatrix. It was starting to get dark and Bryce was rushing us home by saying if we didn’t make it back before midnight we would turn into pumpkin…spice lattes. And a girl in yoga pants would come drink us. Hah, love that goof.
And that’s pretty much how I feel about Fall this year. It’s not even October and I am completely overwhelmed by the amount of pumpkin spice everything. It’s not that I don’t like pumpkin spice stuff…it’s just that I don’t like it enough to actually buy any of it. Maybe it’s because my introduction to the PSL was an accident that resulted in the ruin of my favorite jacket in high school. Stupid Starbucks gave me a PSL instead of what I ordered and they let me keep it (how generous…) so I brought it to school to give to a friend and spilled the orange nastiness on my cream jacket. It was never the same after that. Curse you, PSL!
I’m also not in the slightest bit excited for Halloween which is quite unusual. I couldn’t care less this year…I don’t even want to pull out my Halloween decorations. (Bryce seems to be pretty happy about this – he hates Halloween.) What I’m really looking forward to is Thanksgiving! I’m hosting this year. Eek! We’re two months out and I’m already obsessed with making plans. Gah, get a life, Ashley.
So about this Autumn Ten, I realized these seasonal lists always require me to spend money. And I don’t know, maybe someday I’d like a permanent residence and less debt, so this season’s list is a bit less pricey or at least a bit more financially conscious.
Geez, I’m such a downer right now. No pumpkin spice, no Halloween, no money, rawr!
Anyway, here’s what I want to do this season:
1. Host Thanksgiving for the first time. Does this mean I’m an adult?
2. Buy holiday gifts now. I just think it would be really nice if I didn’t have to drop a big chunk of change all at once. I already have my list made – just need to go shopping!
3. Geocache a bit. Bryce and I got really into it a few years ago and I was reminded of how much fun it is after listening to a podcast about the Forrest Fenn treasure.
4. Start a new blog series about baking my way through the Momofuku Milk Bar book. (See picture. That recipe is killing two autumn ten items with one stone. Thanksgiving dessert, baby!)
5. Check out some art galleries. We used to do this a lot too – it’s been a while.
6. Get a library card. I have this thing with books where I get really attached to them and I want to keep them forever and ever. I read ridiculously fast and I prefer to buy my books from our local book store, Boswell, which really just means that I spend A LOT of money on books. And I have to stop it. There is no reason for this madness when I have a library down the street. NO REASON! (Also, both of our bookshelves are overflowing and breaking. Whoops.)
7. Create a relaxing morning routine. The few times when I’ve actually woken up early I ended up having an awesome morning. I got a playlist going, packed really good food for the day, actually did my hair. It’s fantastic.
8. Farmer’s Market stock up! Yes, it’s that time of year again when I am completely depressed because my weekly farmer’s market visits are coming to end. So the next couple weeks will mean buying, prepping, freezing, and canning a lot of veg.
9. Plan a fun Chicago birthday for Bryce. His birthday is actually in December and we always lump it in with Christmas and Winter, but he’s actually more of a Thanksgiving baby. So, if you see us at the Art Institute in December, say hi.
10. Check Indiana off the travel bucket list. We’re headed to a wedding in Indianapolis and we’re trying to make a little weekend out of it. Any Indianapolis must see, must do, must eat recommendations?