Wrote this a few weeks ago and didn’t post it? I don’t know, you guys. More updates to come!
Hi, I’m pregnant! And buying that house! I know, I haven’t written in almost a year, but I’ve legitimately been busy this time.
It’s been an extremely BIG year for us so far and everyday I get butterflies that tingle from my ribs to my fingertips when I think about all that is happening.
I’m 17 weeks along and finally feeling like a human again. When the morning sickness started, it hit me like a ton of bricks and lasted for two full months. I couldn’t move for two days because I was so dizzy and nauseous. Could barely get down a bite of pineapple. That first week, I flopped on my little couch island with a lemon to sniff (it works!) and didn’t move again until the weekend. By the time I got to the doctor for my second appointment, I’d lost ten pounds from my pre-pregnancy weight and my doctor wasn’t particularly thrilled about it. I went on some meds that helped a bit, but luckily started feeling better about two weeks later.
At my last appointment I’d still only gained a pound. Well, actually they said I gained ALMOST a pound. Oof. I’ve been trying my best to eat, but my appetite really isn’t there even though the nausea is gone. I get sick of eating something a few bites in and have to force the rest of it down. On the bright side, my love handles are gone and the belly came anyway. The countdown to my feet disappearing has begun.
There have been a lot of frustrating and hard moments so far, especially when I was sick. I think I’m not the overly excited version of a pregnant woman that most people are used to or expecting so that’s been a little bit difficult to navigate with family and friends who have a normal range of emotion (aka are extremely excited). For the most part, I’m really pushing myself to be visibly excited for the benefit of others. And honestly, I’m failing at it most of the time.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m extremely happy and thankful that so far the baby is healthy and wiggly and adorable. I think about it all of the time. Bryce and I talk about the baby and house constantly. I get excited every single time I feel it move. I just don’t feel the need to express it to people, I guess? I don’t think that should come as a surprise to know anyone who really knows me. (I also don’t get excited about baby “stuff” like other people do. Bryce and I are minimalists and the idea of filling a house up with stuff actually makes me cry. It’s important to me that we’re thoughful about what we buy and that’s not very exciting to most people.)
The one exception to all of that non-traditionally emotional stuff, of course, is Bryce. He’s always been the only person I’m moved to happy tears with and over. Probably a good thing he’s the person I’m raising this munchkin alongside. We’ve both had a lot of trouble on Sunday nights lately with the idea of going back to work for the week. Both of us love our jobs, love working, but we just want to be together all of the time. We want to work on our house (which we can’t yet…we get the keys in a month) and plan for this kiddo together. Again, good problems to have. I’m thankful as hell for all of it.
Other noteworthy things:
- We call the baby “Schmurf”. We have our reasons, don’t worry about it.
- We had an in-room ultrasound at 12 weeks because my doctor couldn’t find a heartbeat with the dopplar. It was scary for a minute, but turned out amazing because we got to see the baby going crazy in there! It looked like it was DJing for a club! So now we call the baby “DJ Schmurf” and Bryce does this impression of what it was doing that is hilarious and he goes “SOMEBODY SCREAAAAMMM” in this tiny little baby DJ voice and it’s probably so dumb to anyone else, but I think it’s the best thing ever.
- Poor Beatrix…she doesn’t even know what’s coming for her. We’re hoping the giant backyard with HUUUUUGE park across the street at our new house will make her happy enough to last through the screaming baby nights.
- We find out if we’re having a boy or girl in exactly two weeks. I’m convinced it’s a girl and will be legitimately shocked if it’s not.
- Our house is like…just the best. I don’t know how we got so lucky. I mean, it needs some updating, but holy cow it’s just the greatest house. It was built in 1930 and we’ll only be the third owners of it. I’m sorry if that sounded braggy or something, but I don’t even know what to say you guys, after losing three houses (where we offered way over asking price) I don’t know how we ended up with such a special place.
That’s all for now!